Saturday, December 28, 2013

Tomato Soup

It’s my first day back in Chicago after a great Christmas in Atlanta and I thought I would give a few of my new gifts a whirl – thanks for the pot utensil clip Mom and pot holders Michael and Libby! Even though we were one Klindt (well, now Schumacher) short this year, we had a lot of fun, eating, drinking, watching movies, and SLEEPING.  I am not sure about you, but when I have a chunk of time off, my body will shut down and go into hibernation mode for a while. 
 Even though I flew in late last night, I wasn’t able to sleep in much and was up around 7am this morning, so I flipped on the TV and was pulled into an episode of The Pioneer Woman which inspired this post.  Usually I make soup on cold and blustery days, but today is a heat wave…it is 50 degrees (don’t worry, it won’t last long – it is supposed to be 14 degrees on Monday). 

I wasn’t sure how the added sugar and sherry would taste in tomato soup, but don’t worry, it doesn’t make it sweet.  The sugar helps counteract the acidity from the tomatoes and the sherry seems to add a bit of smoothness to the soup. Make sure you serve it with a grilled cheese or crusty bread.  Enjoy!
  
Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Diced Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon (up To 3 Tablespoons) Chicken Base or Bullion
3 Tablespoons (up To 6 Tablespoons) Sugar
1 pinch Salt
 Black Pepper To Taste – I used a teaspoon.
1 cup Cooking Sherry
1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
 Chopped Fresh Parsley
 Chopped Fresh Basil

Directions:
Sauté diced onions in butter until translucent. Then add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, pinch of salt, black pepper and stir. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley and basil to taste.
Adjust other seasonings and serve with yummy, crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.





Recliner Seats At The Movies

Cheers!

Add caption






Recipe Source: The Pioneer Woman

Picture Source: Lindsay Klindt

No comments:

Post a Comment