Sunday, December 15, 2013

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles

It has been rather chilly in Chicago over the past week (and when I say rather, I am talking about 0 degrees when I wake up with negative wind chills). Thankfully, I made a large pot of chicken noodle soup while it was snowing last Sunday which lasted me a few days.   The old Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup commercial kept popping in my head as I made it…the one where the snowman comes into the house and the snow melts away until you see a little red headed kid.  Since I didn’t want to venture out into the snow that day, I decided to be a little creative and made my own egg noodles, and they turned out AWESOME!!!  Definitely a great way to add a special touch to soup.  They tasted like little dumpling strips in my soup...yummmmm!  While I was making the noodles I realized I don’t own a rolling pin, so my noodles are a bit thick, but if you own a rolling pin, I am sure you can roll them out much better than I could with my hands. Enjoy!

 Ingredients:
1 Cup Yellow Onion
1.5 Cup Chopped Carrots
1.5 Cup Chopped Celery
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
5 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Tbsp Butter
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 Cup Water (if needed)
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste

Noodles:
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Large Eggs (beat well)
½ Cup Milk
  
Directions:
Sautee chopped onion, carrots, and celery in butter until softened (~6 minutes).  In a large pot, pour chicken broth and cream of chicken soup, bring to a light boil.  After the veggies are soft, pour into the pot.  Don’t wash that skillet yet, drop in some EVOO and brown the chicken thighs on each side (if you prefer chicken breast that can be substituted, however, thighs are much more flavorful).  Once browned, chop into bite size pieces and drop into the boiling pot.  I would let the soup simmer for about 45 minutes after you put the chicken in to make sure it is cooked through.  During this time you can make the noodles.

For the Noodles:
Put the flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl of your food processor or mixer (either will work).  While the machine is running, slowly add 2 large well-beaten eggs.  The result will look very similar to fine cornmeal; but if you pinch a bit in your hand, it’ll hold its shape. Turn the machine on and slowly pour in 1/2 cup milk. The dough will come together quickly now, so be ready. Depending on the flour you may not need all the milk, so pour it in slowly and only add it all if the dough seems dry. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes.  Using lots of flour, roll the dough about 1/16" thick or thin enough that you can see your hand through it.  Use a pizza cutter to cut 1/2" wide strips, then cut those into 2" long strips.  Toss the strips with a little extra flour to keep them from sticking.  Let the noodles dry for a little while the soup is simmering.  Add the noodles to the soup right before you are ready to serve.  They will float to the top fairly quickly, and be fully cooked in about three minutes.  Don't over cook the noodles.

What it looks like after adding in the eggs


What it looks like after adding in the milk


Starting to look like noodles!


Recipe Source: Combination of Various Websites
Picture Source: Lindsay Klindt

No comments:

Post a Comment