Sunday, August 10, 2014

Elote

I love when inspiration hits!  After a Cubs game outing last week I joined some friends at Moe’s Cantina for a drink and dinner.  We ordered a bunch of food to share and one of the dishes was called Elote.  Oh, my, goodness, it was DELICIOUS!  We couldn’t get enough…corn in a cheesy, creamy, spicy Mexican dish.  So, I set out to find a recipe to try and found this one.  I am definitely making this again and bring it to an upcoming air & water show party – it is sure to be a crowd pleaser!  Summer is still here and it is prime corn season, so I would strike while the iron is hot! 

This recipe is low in heat (spice), but you can definitely spice it up by throwing in some diced jalapeños or a splash of hot sauce mixed in (or both!).  Don’t be shy with the cheese!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
1/2 cup finely crumbled cotija or feta cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
4 ears shucked corn
1 lime, cut into wedges

 Directions:
Mix together mayo, sour cream, cheese, chili powder, garlic, cilantro, splash of lime juice.  Set aside in a bowl while you cook the corn. 

You can cook the corn on the grill, but since I don’t have one, I cooked it on the stove and it worked just fine (probably too a little longer than the grill). 

Recipe Source: Seriouseats.com

Picture Source: Lindsay Klindt






2 comments: